Sunday, May 20, 2007

It's Austen's Fault!

I blame Jane Austen for this blog: While reading Pride & Prejudice, it occurred to me that Austen is really fond of a particular adverb that writers today are really encouraged not to use. And, really, if they do use it, they should use it as really little as possible.

Yes, let there be no mistaking it: the really lowly, really cliched adverb in question is really. Really!

So it got me thinking: For all the Regency words and idioms we need a glossary for, what was used back then that has survived to this day, thanks to not just the English language, but to thinking in English? So I determined to gather examples of those words and idioms, along with their Regency sources, in this blog, which I decided to call--surprise!--Really Regency.

Enjoy!

No comments: